Gentoo – Summary of Events to publicise PEACE ONE DAY
- Football Peace CUP
See poster for details of tournament to be held 19 September.
- Dubmire School
Event to take place with Dubmire school. An artist has been engaged to work with the children in order to create a ceramic plaque about peace. Each class will make a section and the whole will be put together and unveiled 19 September. There will then be a fun day for the children who have supported POD each year. We can no longer have the planned balloon release (due to environmental/ecological reasons). However, 4 doves will be released by The Head Teacher, a pupil, Police officer and a Gentoo rep. The event will commence at 11.00a.m.
- Tom Urwin House, Silksworth, Sunderland
A tea party for residents provided by Youth Almighty, and re-siting of the Peace mosaic made last year, into the garden to create space for peace. This takes place on Sunday 21 September.
- Pallion Community Garden
The “secret” garden at Pallion is to have an area for peace. There will be a tea party to launch this and pupils from Highfield school will sing songs at the event. Residents will be asked to write their pledge for peace and these will be placed in a time capsule to be buried in the garden. The exact date for this is still to be determined.
- Gentoo is organising an event in conjunction with Town End Farm Residents Association. This will take place on the afternoon of Thursday 18 September. There will be a tea party, a Peace quiz and a children’s choir. We are also planning to show a video of POD featuring Jeremy Gillie in order to increase awareness.
- 6. A Peace garden at Moorsley/Peat Carr to be launched on Friday 19 September. There is to be a war memorial and some seating provided. Free materials have been donated.
- Cherry Tree Gardens extra care scheme. A social event has been organised by Gentoo to take place on Friday 19 September, p.m. There will be peaceful peaceful music and a quiz.
- Gentoo has arranged for Albany School, Washington, to run a painting competition around Peace. The winning designs will go on display in Perspex cases in the local play park to replace some previous pictures that need replacing. We will also run a session around peace to show Year 5 children have the same qualities as famous peace leaders. Exact dates to be confirmed.
- Photo Competition
Gentoo is running a photo competition open to both staff and customers. Photographs must depict “peace”.
10. Staff events
Gentoo staff will also take part in a Peace quiz at lunch time on 21 September. There will be some meditation and holistic therapy sessions available for staff during the week leading up to 21 September.