Over the next few days Gentoo Living will be hosting seven magnificent events across Sunderland in association with Space for Peace and in recognition of the work of Peace One Day to promote the International Day of Peace.
- Dubmire primary school children in Houghton –le –Spring will position themselves on the field so as to spell the word ‘Peace’ when seen from above. Aerial Photographs will be taken by use of a remote controlled drone. (On 20 Sept a.m.).The children are also making their own posters depicting peace and there will be prizes for the best ones.This school has also been using the Peace One day resource pack in their lessons.
- Gentoo staff are facilitating a session for year 6 pupils at Oxclose primary school in Washington. They will be exploring what qualities they have and relating them to famous peace makers such as Martin Luther King. (20 Sept. p.m.
- There will be a roof garden party at the River Quarter in Sunderland City Centre. It will bring together the residents of the apartments to meet each other and their new Neighbourhood Housing Manager. They will be encouraged to use the garden as a “space for peace” within the hustle and bustle of city living.
- Young people from the Youth Almighty project in the Silksworth area of Sunderland have been working all week with residents of Tom Urwin House sheltered Housing scheme to create a Peace mosaic. This will be completed and unveiled on Saturday afternoon and placed in the communal rest room which can be used as a space for peace. This activity has already led to other benefits – the young people have asked the residents to teach them skills such as knitting. How good is that?
- Gentoo staff have engaged in holistic therapy sessions and meditation starter sessions during the week and on Friday will be engaging in a Peace quiz where offices and departments will compete against each other.
- An event at Sunderland carers centre includes a space for peace garden area which is a facility much needed by carers who need a place for respite and time to themselves.
- A football tournament, the Peace Cup, with teams from 23 organisations including Gentoo.
.Pledge for Peace cards will be available at all events and people will be encouraged to make their personal pledge for Peace.
We would like to thank all of the staff at Gentoo for their wonderful support.
Find out more about Space for Peace at SpaceforPeace.co.uk or like us on facebook
Our partners and supporters across the North East of England are hosting events in celebration and recognition of International Peace Day. In addition to events already held by Tristar Homes and Cestria Homes, here is a flavour of what is happening over the next few days from Your Homes Newcastle, Gentoo, Cestria Homes, Tristar Homes, Durham University and Crisis Skylight(Newcastle);
Your Homes Newcastle
- Holding street games across the city on Saturday 21/09/13. They will be held in Byker and Elswick Park. There will also be one held at Jubilee Court for the residents.
- dress down day in return staff will make a small donation including raffle, quiz and relaxation sessions
- Sports and Social football tournament to be held in September
- Peace Cup – 24 team football tournament on 20th September
- Holistic therapy day for staff
- Staff Quiz
- 5 management teams to each organise an event; holding hands for peace, helicopter shoot of children spelling out PEACE, poster competition, Sunderland carers garden area, mens health peace area in community shop, peace mosaic.
- Established project team, requirement within annual appraisal system for each of the 7 area housing officers to organise an event in name of Space for Peace.
- Community engagement team to work with schools
- Setting up of Peace Camps
- Cup design
- Bake for Peace event
- Joint event with Chester-le-street MIND
- Large community event at Preston Park (7th August) with Peace garden/tent area. Steering group established with Tristar, Harbour (domestic abuse charity) and Space for Peace to organise activities for event.
- Puppet shows at Primary Schools on 18th and 19th September.
- Minutes silence before all games at every university on inter-university sports day on 20th November
- Durham student union to organise peace camp during freshers week.
Smile4Peace cakes all day on 20th September at Skylight Cafe.
Like us on facebook to keep up to date with Space for Peace.
Last week Cestria Homes held a community event with children in Nettlesworth, County Durham.
They had the most fantastic community day and lots of people of all ages turned up they all learned a little about Space for Peace
The children were from ages 2 to 9 years old and Angela, Housing Officer for Cestria Homes, spoke to them about what Peace was and they assumed being at peace was being happy so that is the way they drew the pictures, things that made them happy. They had a competition for a 1st 2nd and 3rd place and the winning entry is going to be printed onto a cup, to promote Space for Peace and International Peace Day The winner was the one with the rainbow, 2 friends sitting on the swings and the words friends at the top.
Cestria Homes have many more events planned in association with Space for Peace to celebrate World Peace Day this year.
Follow the blog to find out about other events held by supporters of Space for Peace for International Peace Day, 21st September 2013.
To find out more about Space For Peace find us on twitter, @spaceforpeaceuk, and facebook, SpaceforPeaceUK or visit our website, spaceforpeace.co.uk.